View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [HT] Grenades fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Alright, it's the games I've been in and run. But if this is not the standard, I'd like to hear how other GMs kept PCs from just walking away from grenades (or deal with anyone they suspected were cooking one off).
I can only remember one occasion when a grenade was used by PCs who were known to be present by the enemy. We were clinging to the outside of a 40' container on a moving railway car, with the enemy inside it. At that point, a grenade was drawn, armed, cooked and thrown inside, which was pretty slow, but possible because there was no line of sight between any of the PCs and the opposition. That revealed to us that the sides of a container are not strong enough to stop grenade shrapnel, so we then resorted to firing blind with 5.56mm assault rifles through the walls, which subdued the opposition. Yes, this was an Action campaign.

All the other times we've used grenades were as traps, or by stealth.

I can't recall an occasion when I've seen grenades used against PCs, mostly because we try hard to happen to the opposition, rather than vice-versa.

Stand-up fights with high-tech firearms and grenades are completely unrealistic, and we never attempt them; if a new player came along who suffered from the delusion that melee should be able to compete with firearms a la fantasy games, we'd explain they were wrong, and let their characters die if they persisted.

Last edited by johndallman; 01-07-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: rephrase
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote