View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Main-gauche vs. Dagger

I thought this question might warrant it's own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
By the way, is the only difference between a main-gauche and a regular dagger is it' extended guard, which is designed to hook other weapons? If so, shouldn't main-gauches instead of daggers as there isn't an in game disadvantage for a main-gauche vs dagger and it has the benefits for someone with the talent to use it.
Depending on the era/design there could be several differences... a protective basket or hand guard, for example. I've also seen some versions that lack bladed edges (sharpened tip only) as well as versions with notches, extra tines, and unusual hilt shapes. In the other thread, Peter also mentioned their larger size, weight and cost.

Due to these differences but more importantly how they are used, I personally don't believe that the KNIFE or SWORD talents provide coverage for this weapon. Only the FENCING talents explicitly mention training in the use of the main-gauche. Without one of those I would apply the untrained penalty to their attempted use.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 06-12-2021 at 09:27 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote