View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Battletech to Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's a fairly frequent subject. Changing BT Skills for Gurps skills is simple. Using UT personal gear instead of BT stuff is only a little more involved but doing 'Mechs in Gurps is a major project.
Doing mecha in general in GURPS isn't that big a deal - we've got vehicle rules, hit locations, all that. There are some helpful supplements available but I'm not sure any of them are at all required. I guess you want to apply partial injury of sorts to your vehicle to account for the way mechs suffer limb damage.

Doing battlemechs in particular becomes more of a challenge due to the strangeness of Battletech weapon behavior. If you want your mech engagements to be anything like actual Battletech, you need ablative armor and ludicrously short-ranged weapons that play along with the ablative armor. And potentially some kind of scaling houserules to stop small arms from being a better counter to mechs than Battletech's anti-vehicle weapons (without being useless, because small-arms fire does harm 'mechs).