Thread: Cast out of HTH
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #19
phiwum

Default Re: Cast out of HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or conversely, if the spell does allow you to "move one hex in any direction", then Illusion Duplicates become a great way to get through walls, locked doors, prison bars, etc.

The point of the movement is just a meta game thing. It puts two identical figures in two adjacent hexes so the enemy players don't know which is which, thus simulating that confusion of the foe. I doubt it's really meant as a one-hex teleport.

In a constrained situation, you could always rule that the illusion must be the one that slides to a different hex, because the real target can't. That would, of course, make the illusion fairly pointless against smart foes, so it likely wouldn't be cast in that situation in the first place. But that's a little softer prohibition than just saying the spell doesn't work.
That's one interpretation, but an illusion can't do anything which a real figure can't do. It is supposed to be treated as an ordinary figure (ITL 138, second paragraph).

Inevitably, an illusion sometimes has to do something it can't do, such as drop a weapon when a foe initiates HTH. It's unclear what happens in that case. One option is that everyone who sees the illusion gets a free disbelieve roll. Another is that the illusion vanishes, because the effect of seeing the impossible (a weapon disappearing, in this case) is sufficient to cause disbelief in any who see the illusion.

I've tended to the latter interpretation and so I apply it here. A pinned figure can't just suddenly move to the adjacent hex, so poof. I'd think the other alternative is a free disbelieve, rather than just the observation of a physical impossibility causing some suspicion. Even a dumb animal has some model of how the world works, some expectations of causality.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote