Thread: Cast out of HTH
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #76
tomc

Default Re: Cast out of HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Illusions can't split so can you be killed by the poison of an illusion giant spider?
I'd say yes. I've always considered an illusion as a focus for the beliefs of it's observers and powered by their innate magic. So going by Shostak's excellent bog post, I'd say that while illusions effect mind, not matter, the minds that observe them can sometimes involuntarily effect matter. The "sometimes" is a fudge for the GM to keep the players guessing and an excuse for not being consistent about it. :)

You're poisoned because you believe you are. You're hacked to bits inside your undamaged armor because your belief, focused by the illusion's sword, created your very real wounds.

An illusion of a dragon can pick you up and fly you away, as long as you believe in it. However, if deep down you *know* it's an illusion, then as a GM I'm going to make you take progressively easier rolls to involuntarily disbelieve, so that by the time you're a hundred feet up you're rolling 2d vs IQ and hoping for boxcars. Otherwise you're into the volcano.

An illusion of a torch lets you see in the dark. Your belief focused through the illusion gives you something like Dark Vision. Believing an illusion of a bridge gives you something like Flight (but see the dragon example above).

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is online now   Reply With Quote