Thread: Cast out of HTH
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 02:49 AM   #74
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Cast out of HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
These ideas are pretty neat and almost seem to hint at metamagic to me.

What about two new talents for wizards: Persistent Image and Substantial Illusion for Inanimate Illusions and Animate Illusions?

Maybe there are other possible metamagical talents that could alter the behavior of certain sets of spells...
Thanks, I like that term (if not that other game that uses it :)

As a proponent for magical talents and new spells at most other times I should accept the challenge, but I'll take a "less is more" stance on tweaking Illusions in particular and Creation spells in general. Here I'm just advocating for consistency in how the existing rules get interpreted or explained, while making the minimum effective changes possible to accomplish that. Just more structure so all those borderline cases are less baffling. Not that anyone else should hold back trying anything, I just don't want to complicate my own arguments beyond comprehension.

Although I did once write a variant on the Illusion spell buried in my notes somewhere. It went something like "Fortify Illusion (C) - IQ 16. A wizard who knows this spell may, at the time it creates a regular Illusion, pay an extra ST cost, or it may cast this as a separate spell later on any Illusion in Creation spell range. The fortified Illusion cannot be disbelieved on a roll of 3 vs IQ, the attempt must be made on 4 vs IQ instead." I can't recall what ST cost I set for this, but I must have it written down somewhere. It was mainly meant to keep illusions in the game if there were a bunch of high IQ wizards in the fight.