View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #69
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Make Animals Threatening [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Don't underestimate the power of tactics. Jefepato mentioned a pack of wolves, and a highly intelligent pack of wolves could use (even) better pack tactics than ordinary wolves. This may be more about what the GM does than about mechanics. Anyone familiar with the D&D story of the Nightmare Kobolds?
Every time I've seen Tucker's Kobolds described, it in fact revolved entirely around ambushes and traps...

What tactics would you reserve for an unnaturally smart animal? Sneaking up and stealing people's weapons probably isn't beyond a clever animal, but it's not a very good tactic for a homicidal animal - once you're close enough to steal someone's weapon why not go for the throat instead? (It does work if you've got an unnatural coalition of animals, where small and offensively weak animals prepare targets for attack by more powerful but less stealthy types.)

Most tactics I can think of that I couldn't see animals using wouldn't work for them anyway, because they're dependent on particular tools that don't fit animal anatomy. A phalanx of wolves makes no sense because wolves can't use spears.