View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Tom H.

Default Re: Combat Modifiers and AdjDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
My understanding is that Facing bonus does apply to thrown weapons.
. . .
I believe the screen and Wizard DX summary are also consistent with this.
The DX adjustments from Melee (p. 10) also seem to infer support for this. When listing the facing modifiers, there is this solitary note:
Quote:
NOTE: Missile weapon attacks don't get DX adds for facing.
Thrown weapons are conspicuously absent from the note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Skarg: It's slightly off the OP's question, but why would missile attacks not get the facing bonus? The facing bonus reflects the target's lack of awareness of the attack, and resulting lack of defensive action (evasion / dodging / parrying / whatever) — and that certainly seems (to me, anyway) to apply to incoming projectiles, just as much as to handheld weapons.
Maybe, by default, missile weapon attacks are generally assumed to be hard to defend against because of their speed and potential distance. Since ranged attacks don't automatically get the presumed +4 bonus for this, maybe their model is different than regular attacks for other reasons.

~~~

If they print a revision of In The Labyrinth, I would love to see it include the DX Bonuses and Penalties from the GM screen with a bit more explanation and elaboration.

And just to be clear, as has been mentioned, we are discussing two separate but related issues here: (1) DX adjustments for facing, and (2) the effects of DX adjustments on action sequence.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote