View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #14
phiwum

Default Re: Is the Wizards' Guild international

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I had to assume 80%+ popularity of the Guild in Dran in order to recruit enough to keep running at listed level of economic output.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/wizards_dran.html

If your guild is less popular than that then either the wizards just don't do as much for the general public as listed or you are using a vastly different magic system. The entire edifice rests on the underpaid labor of the Apprentices. Compare to grad students in the USA.
Seems to me that you'll have trouble maintaining a steady state with these numbers. There's a high ratio of apprentice to full-fledged wizard, right? If we keep the number of apprentices constant, you'll have to have eighty deaths or retirements of wizards each year to keep pace with the incoming wizards.

Or else you end up more like the post-grad system than you might realize. Your numbers suggest that the bulk of wizards work for the guild or in public service. Unless the number of positions there grows steadily over time, there aren't enough positions for the average 80 new wizards coming in. It's the same problem we see in Philosophy, for instance, where there are more doctoral candidates than number of retirees and most of them want a job in academia, but it's damned hard to find anything but part-time because the competition is too high.

Consequently, you're going to have a whole lot of adjunct wizards, doing part-time work for meager pay.

Mind you, I don't have a whole economic model for wizardry in Dran. I don't think about it much in my campaign. But if you're going to do this and want it to make sense, you should imagine what happens over time. The number of incoming wizards has to be roughly the same as the number of retiring or dying wizards or things get skewed from your original ideal numbers pretty quickly.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote