View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Top objective of the Wizards' Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Does it? In my experience the really great scientists and whatever usually also have an interest in other things. Garry Kasparov, for instance, went into politics. Edison definitely liked money. Top churchfolk in the middle ages became almost indistinguishable from any other kind of prince.

And even if all aren't like this, they're people, and people have all sorts of degrees of interest in money, power, etc. To have one character think like this is cool. To say they all think like this makes them less people and more stereotypes.

The Cidri concept of wizards as professional experts like lawyers and doctors strikes me as more likely than this idea of them all becoming monk-geeks. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have this as a background, and there might be a good reason for it in story, but I wouldn't push it on believability grounds.
And some of those church leaders dabbled in esoteric philosophy (magic) and astrology.

I think groups have factions. In the 1950s, MIT had a Tech Model Railroad Club. There was a group that was the Knife-and-Paintbrush contingent. They spent 'their time building and painting replicas of certain trains with historical and emotional value, or creating realistic scenery for the layout.' The other group was the Signals and Power Subcommittee. They 'cared far more about what went on under the layout.' 'Need of regimental lines of switches and achingly regular rows of dull bronze relays, and a long rambling tangle of red, blue and yellow wires'; the electrical guts and relays of the thing. (from Hackers by Steven Levy) Each group knew they enjoyed the TMRC and acknowledged the other, but stuck to their own.

I think the Wizard's Guild is interested in the perpetuation of the Wizard's Guild and all things related to magic.

I acknowledge that HCOBB has a contingent that wishes to discover the underlying truths of magic and so they do basic magical research. As a result they learn really impractical spells and enchantments. I would have a contingent like this also. But keep in mind that there would be dissension within that group too as some might look at the root of magic to be emanating from the gods and push that agenda's research.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote