View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #55
Stormcrow

Default Re: Rules Lawyers: The Most Important Rules in all GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
But then I also have players who don't know the rules well, never think to do things like Deceptive Attacks, Telegraphic Attacks, or invent new Techniques, use Extra Effort (or try to use it too much) and only like the roleplaying aspects and hate the technical play. Balancing the experience of gaming for these players is difficult. Some players hate it when other players make suggestions on what specialized technique they should use in a situation, and just say, "Shouldn't my character know what to do in this situation?"
I've seen this situation as well. If a game requires a certain level of knowledge of the rules that a player is not willing or able to acquire, that player will simply not enjoy that game. Not every game of GURPS requires such knowledge. When I run games, combat is present but light, and when there are players who don't know the combat options, I or another player can interpret their combat intentions for them, and everyone is satisfied with that. But in a game that features combat as a central, tactical challenge, such a player simply cannot enjoy themselves, and they really shouldn't be playing that game. Their characters would just be puppets run by someone else.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote