View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #41
bocephus

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

I think I have one (though Im honestly not sure because of the oddity in wording).

Missile spells: 1/2D 40, Max 80

I have always interpreted this as the full effective range of the spell is 80... but between 40 and 80 its only half damage because it loses some effectiveness at that distance from the caster.

I have been using it that way for years but to be honest I have never been completely sure that's a correct interpretation.

On a side note I had a recent debate after a game session with a mage who was trying to clarify rules vs Aiming and Concentrating. This may also be relevant to this thread:

I haven't read specifically if the caster can or can't be aiming as they increase the damage of a spell (Concentrate). IE Mage rolls concentration (skill 15) to create the stone missile at 3d, second turn he concentrates to pump it another three dice - can he also in this turn begin his "aim action"... third turn he pumps it 2 more dice and aims again (now +2 aim), Fourth turn he "throws" the stone missile - distance 30 at 8d+8 with an Acc bonus of +2 to his innate attack.

Should aim cause a modifier to concentrate? Not be allowed at all? I have house-ruled that at skill 15+ you are allowed some movement (per the book), if you remain still I allow aim instead. My thinking is that tracking a target is no less onerous than taking steps in an unfamiliar environment. Also there really isnt any physical action to do with regard to aiming a spell, you are just trying to be fully aware of where the target is and gauge the movement of the target.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote