View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #30
trooper6

Default Re: How to tell players what they can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Awesome example, highly appreciated!

How about creating characters over Skype or something, maybe with the sheet written in cloud together? Having 100 miles to travel for a game I'd like to spend a day on making characters only if it's really necessary.
So, I don't tend to worry about niche protection. That isn't a concern of mine from a meta story point of view. I am fine if a party has two thieves....or is all thieves (there are a few exceptions, but I'll get to that in a moment). I also don't worry if "all bases are covered" (there are a few exceptions, but I'll get to that in a moment). The dungeon fighting party has no healer? Well...then there is no healer. I don't need a group session (Skype or otherwise) to make sure that someone is playing the Healer, we don't have two thieves, etc...because that is not how I conceive of parties on a meta level.

Now, let me interrupt myself to explain the exception. The exception to niche's is if there is an in-game job requirement. When I ran Interstellar Wars, the ship needed certain jobs filled...so the players had to make characters who would be able to do those jobs. The captain of the ship put out the call (Co-Pilot/Navigator, Comms/Security, Engineer, Steward/Medic/Gunner, Merchant/Quartermaster/Gunner). But that was an in-game requirement, not a meta game requirement. Unless there is an in-game job requirement, I do not care about niches at all.

So, when do I do group initial character brainstorming?

I do it when the characters would know each other before the session starts. I do it when there isn't a strong external driver.

So, in Interstellar Wars, since they were all applying for jobs and this was a new crew and they didn't know each other beforehand, I didn't do a group character creation session. I did a group email asking people which job they wanted on a first come, first serve basis and then we did one on one emails. The PCs met each other for the first time at our first session.

I can get way with not having group creation whenever there is an external organization bringing the group together and in charge of them (Spies, Merchant Traders, Special Forces, etc).

On the other hand, whenever the PCs would know each other, or whenever the PCs have to be self motivated because they are basically freelancers (your dungeon delvers, your cyberpunk group, etc), then I find that group character creation brainstorming is a must. Again, not for niche protection, but so that the characters can build backstories, connections, and relationships together. So that *they* can work out how they know each other and why they hang out together. In a freelance PC group I find this step crucial. Have them explain why the Paladin and the Assassin hang out together. This is the time for people to work out...oh my character and your character are siblings! Or my long term goals and your long term goals are the same! Or, we grew up together! Or whatever.

I think group sessions are always nice, but if the group is part of an organization that brings them together and keeps them together...then the group session can be skipped.

You brought up the situation of going to the place, doing the brainstorming and then people sitting around doing nothing while you help one person. This is where I recommend what whswhs says...don't make the detailed characters then.

Have that group session also be a nice dinner...some sort of hanging out time. You hang out, discuss the campaign, do as much conceptualization and group talking as possible. You take notes, but they don't do any writing if they don't want to. But talk about backstory, hopes, dreams, concepts, connections...get all that down...then just have a lovely time with each other.

Then, to the nitty-gritty numbers stuff over Skype one on one.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote