View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
trooper6

Default Re: Rearranging Character Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
It simulates the fact that Magery >= Spell skill. Under no situation is it better to have 10 spell skills with 2 points in them than it is to have 10 1 point skills and an extra level of magery. This is why I'm going to be allowing players to move points from spells to magery in my DF and fantasy games from now on, so they can improve over time.
But what you are saying isn't actually true depending on how your run your game. For example, if you are using Magical Perks with the suggested limitations from Magical Styles, the person with Level 2 Magery and 10cp in spells cannot buy any Magical Perks. None. Because you get 1 per 20cp in spells. The person with Level 1 Magery and 20cp in spells gets to purchase a Perk. If they are both practitioners of Magical Styles? 10cp Mage gets 0 General Magic Perks and 1 Style Magic Perk. 20cp Mage gets 1 General Magic Perk and 2 Style Magic Perks.

Also, I'd not forget about Familiarity. Perhaps Fireball isn't fireball isn't fireball. There are different traditions. And as per the familiarity rules, you get 2 familiarities per cp in a skill. This means 10cp guy only knows two different ways people do fireball, his own, and perhaps the way the mages from the west do it. 20cp Mage knows 4 ways. This could become important when finding old magic books, or having cultural exchanges with other mages or trying to counterspell.

And what if you want to float that spell roll to something other than Magery+IQ? Well, the mage with more actual points in the spell will be at an advantage there.

There final number might be the same, but they represent different ways of getting to that number and have different implications.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote