View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Explain Gurps shotgun rules

Example time!

I shoot at a bug eyed alien 10 yards away once with my Guns (Shotgun) skill of 12, rolling a 10. This gives me a RoF of 9 (from the 9 pellets in a 00 buckshot shell.) Thus, my effective skill is 12 + 2 (RoF) - 4 (range) =10. So I hit with one pellet for 1d+1 pi-.

This only annoys the alien, and it snarls threateningly at me.

Panicked because they're not running away, I unload a full 3 shots the next round. Thats a RoF of 3 x 9 = 27. So my effective skill is 12 + 5 (RoF) - 4 (range) = 13. I roll a 10 again, which is a margin of success of 3. Because I made it at all, I hit with one pellet. In addition I hit with MoS/Rcl extra shots, 3/1 = 3. So this time I hit with 4 pellets.

This is enough to seriously **** off the alien, and it charges me. Whimpering, I unload my last three shots at it from 4 yards away. Because this is less that 10% of the 1/2D range, the pellets don't have time to spread and I halve the x 9 pellets (rounding down) to x 4 and multiply both my damage (1d+1) and the alien's DR (DR 1) by that amount, which gives me 4d+4 vs. DR 4. My effective skill is 12 + 0 (RoF is only 3) - 2 = 10. I roll 10 again, and only hit with one shell, doing 4d+4 to the alien, hopefully stopping it before it eats me as I'm out of ammo.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote