View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
VIVIT

Default Re: Limiting the Skill Bonus from Magery

I ought to mention where this idea came from. It came from the spell charts PDF: each spell has its magery prerequisite marked with little dots, the number of dots corresponding to the magery level required by the spell, and it counts magery prerequisites recursively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This can't be pre-calculated for all spells, because of prerequisites like "10 Food spells" or "One spell from each of six colleges."
Hrm. I hadn't thought of this. The way spell charts handles it is that these spells only have magery prerequisites marked if they have a named spell in that group (e.g. "6 Light/Dark spells including Blur") with a magery prerequisite.

Quote:
In fact, I realise there's an aspect that makes it worse. It is at least theoretically possible that learning a spell could reduce your skill with one you already know, if you learn a spell with a high magery requirement that is in an alternative prerequisite chain for a spell you already know. You can fix that by saying that the penalty is the lowest one in all your alternative prerequisite chains, but that makes working out the answer even more complicated.
I have thought of this, though: I would rule that if a spell has more than one prerequisite chain and you satisfy both, the penalty is determined by the more favorable chain. So learning a spell can improve your skill level with another spell, but it can't make it worse.

If I do a more formal write-up of this house rule, I'll take these points into consideration.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote