View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
Varyon

Default Re: Technical Grappling: Grabbing Parry clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I'm seeing it on MA84, maybe different printings?
Got my wires crossed; it is indeed MA84.

Quote:
I forgot about the "It’s a one-handed parry, even if the prerequisite skill usually parries with two hands" part. If GP took that approach it would explain the "0.5x regardless" approach Cole took.
Grabbing Parry is probably just fine being able to be a two-handed grapple - in fact, that should probably be required for (Sumo) Wrestling - it's just that you don't get full "damage," as it were.

Quote:
Success means you parry and may roll against the prerequisite skill to grab
Ah, I missed that. Checking Aggressive Parry and Jam, it looks like Grabbing Parry just failed to make mention of the roll against skill - and that the modifiers it lists apply to that, not to the defense. So, in the case of MoS 0 against a foe with Rapid Retraction 2, the initial roll is sufficient to be able to attempt a grab, but said grab is at -2 for Rapid Retraction (on top of the -1 for an arm, for a total of -3).

As for my mention of defense, I was under the impression the target of an Aggressive Parry was able to make a defense against it, but I see now that is not the case (and for good reason; the last thing we need is an endless exchange as two characters keep trying to use Grabbing Parry or similar on each other over and over and over and...*).

*EDIT: Now that I think about it, I've seen something like this in a video game, and it was incredibly annoying there. In Ehrgeiz, throws can be reversed with the right timing, but unless the result is the character simply breaking the grapple (which does happen with a few throws), the throw that it gets reversed into is also reversible. Playing against the AI on the highest difficulty renders throws unusable, as they will always reverse whatever you try - indeed, I once put two max-difficulty AI opponents against each other in training mode, and once it came to a grapple they basically danced until I got tired of it and exited training.

Last edited by Varyon; 09-12-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote