View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 10:14 PM   #36
Skarg

Default Re: Environmental Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
My actual reason is given in the original post I made at the start of this thread. The third paragraph under "Philosophy" has the core of it. It has nothing to do with brevity of character sheets, though the brevity of TFT character sheets is something I would like to retain. If there is something I wrote in the first post that gave you the impression I was trying to shorten character sheets then please tell me what it was so I can clarify in later drafts.
No, I just don't see value in removing the option to have any of the existing talents such as Swimming, Climbing, Boating, Seamanship, independently of survival talents. I don't think there is any necessary overlap, so I think including those talents inside survival talents is removing possible types of characters, for no gain that makes sense to me.

It does make sense to think many people with those survival skills would also have some other talents. Just not everyone.

If you're worried about talent point costs, then maybe have some discounts to bundle related talents.

As I wrote before, I do like having different survival knowledge talents per environment, rather than one "Woodsman". I also think that outdoor survival skills, naturalist knowledge, and tracking skill, should be different skills without requiring each other, so you can have the scholar who knows more about creatures but not so much how to build fires and shelters or how to manage a group in the wilderness. And while a naturalist or survivalist might have some ability to track, I see really tracking as its own skill (with some overlap, sure, but being a really good tracker doesn't describe every naturalist or survivalist).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote