View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Spaceships] I'm closing on nothing, and 4 other confusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevis View Post
Heh, thanks again -- I don't disagree with any of this, but it isn't responding to my reading of the book. I didn't say I imagined "doing loops," I said a ship was "in a loop" around something at long range. I said that being in a loop around something at long range didn't sound like escaping to me, so I thought (at first reading) the word "evasive" didn't fit, since evade means "escape." I didn't find this clear. I think more detail won't budge me, since I'm reporting a reaction I already had.

It sounds like when you read the rules that being in a big loop around something wasn't the scenario that came to mind for you, or maybe it did and it *does* sound "evasive" to you. Either way, more power to you. The book's writer thought it fit too. You had different scenarios or word connotations in mind than I did. Which is cool.

I appreciate the help figuring out what the rules intended.
Yeah, um, evasive maneuvers meaning maneuvers to evade enemy attacks isn't something GURPS Spaceships came up with. It goes at least back to original-series Star Trek. I can't prove whether it actually originated in military usage or whether it's something SF writers invented, but it's common coin at this point either way.