View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #28
Icelander

Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Author's comments: Holks are coming, probably tomorrow. After them, I expect to tackle Carracks and Great Ships, as a natural progression. Caravels follow, as well as the exploration Galleons such as the Golden Hinde. After them it's off to the early Frigates (not related to the later naval vessel) and Fluyts.

I'm taking suggestions on what to finish after that. I want, ideally, to do earlier types before later, in order to ensure consistency, but as I've skipped the Ancient World and left out the Mediterranean, that might be hard. I could be persuaded to go old style and write-up the classical period and then move onto medieval galleys. That's pretty much the only way I'm going to be able to do the Galleas and smaller oar-and-sail ships such as Brigantines, Pinnaces and Xebecs.

Is anyone interested in writeups for the Forgotten Realms campaign I play? Shipbuilding technology there is at late TL4, with some TL5 innovations, but gunpowder is so expensive that it's rarely used except by fantastically rich people (firing a full broadside would cost about a tenth of the price of the ship).

I was planning a 'Frigate' (fast ship similar in size to a narrow galleon), an elven Schooner (a reworked Elven Ship from Fantasy), Caravel, War Caravel, Cog (really a Holk) and a Coastal Lugger. Probably more, since the tactical needs are very different from any century on Earth and there are therefore subtle differences in the design of the ships.

NB: Some stats given earlier have been changed. This is due to getting a better feeling for the consistency and relative performance. Mostly it was the two stats that I felt unsure about, Acceleration and Cost that were changed.

Edit: Added a new Cog Greatship, based on the Grace Dieu.