View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [Banestorm] Racially Diverse Ytarria

So, in the wake of current events and companies like WotC saying they want to push for more Diversity in D&D, I got to thinking back to one of my favorite Fantasy settings, GURPS Banestorm, and it's own demographics.

Specifically, that there's no reason for for the Human nations to be racially homogenized. The Banestorm plucked people from ALL over Earth between 1050 and 1200 AD (and other times, considering the Nomads), after all, and dumped them all over the place. Especially since a good look at Medieval history shows that places like Europe were MUCH more racially diverse than some people would have you believe.

There is literally no reason why there can't be a substantial population of black people living in Megalos and Caithness who have Christianized, but still maintain some old cultural traditions. Same with folks of Asian descent, even outside of Sahud.

Similarly, I figure the Islamic nations of Al-Haz and Al-Wazif (as well as Cardiel) have Islamic (and even some non-islamic) peoples of all colors living in their borders.

As for Sahud and the Nomad Lands: No reason you can't have a couple of tribes of African descent living in the Nomad Lands, and considering Sahudese culture, there's likely to be at least one clan of Black samurai of good standing, with everyone agreeing that bringing up the culture of their skin would just be rude.

At least those are my thoughts on it. What are yours?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote