View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #40
Varyon

Default Re: can you drop a benefit of an Ally to drop a drawback of a Dependent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Where do I find this 'twice' thing? B131 says "you must make up the bonus points you got for him"
I don't have access to my books at the moment, but I thought Dependent worked similarly to Secret - permanent failure (Secret becomes public knowledge, Dependent dies and/or* decides they want you dead for neglecting them) means you lose the original Disadvantage and end up with lost Advantages/gained Disadvantages equal to twice the value.

*Jason Todd comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
My point is more that it COULD so long as whatever traits you gained in play added up to 0.
A question: what purpose would this serve at the table? In what way would this improve the experience for the players and/or the GM? Because, really, that's ultimately the only reason to modify rules - to make things better, at least to the group currently playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Not having that happen is what you pay the character points for when you buy an Ally.
On the other hand, the possibility of that happening is what you get a discount for Unwilling for - which was under discussion here, specifically a player buying an NPC as an Ally when Loyalty is too low. Personally, in that case, if I had already determined the NPC was working for someone else, I'd likely simply tell the player he couldn't take the NPC as an Ally (perhaps simply using the excuse I don't want to have the NPC beholden to Frequency of Appearance). If for some reason I did allow it, I either wouldn't charge full price (that is, I'd apply the discount for Unwilling) or, if I couldn't manage that without giving away the NPC's nature, might give the character secret Advantage(s) to make up the difference. If the character simply hadn't acquired enough Loyalty from the NPC, however, I certainly wouldn't make an Unwilling Ally - I'd either tell the player the NPC didn't trust the character enough yet, or I'd just let the expenditure of points cover boosting the Loyalty to an acceptable level (possibly even with a BFF-bonding-moment/mini-adventure/whatever).