View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #23
Tomsdad

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Comparing a 10.5" barrel to a 16.5" one. From the same barrel length, the .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf differ by maybe 1-2 points of Dmg.

And the Bulk -4* was the entire point of this weapon. At Bulk -5, you can get a .50 BMG weapon that does Dmg 10d+2 pi+. The Alexander Arms Entry .50 Beowulf is neither one thing nor the other, neither a good rifle nor a good carbine, due to the legality issue that forces it to be Bulk -5..
Ah Ok I didn't realise the Blk was the driving force here, TBF as you mentioned earlier as legality isn't really going to be an issue in MH you can get round that issue in a couple of ways (but may end up removing what advantage the Alexander had). You bulk -5 .50 BMG, will also weigh a lot more as well.

I have to say IME slight differences in Bulk rarely comes up in play, if your running and gunning the difference between -4 and -5 to hit with no aim bonuses isn't going to make that much difference. (Similar to a 1 point difference between high Rcl)

However as skill increases that may change as move and attack because less of an issue.

Quote:
It's possible. One reason for choosing .458 SOCOM is that expanding bullets in that caliber have a good reputation.
I may well be wrong anyway. The amount of energy is still high, and even if you use the rule in HT it's only a 1 in 6 chance of it happening. I think it really more an issue at a lower TL as the rule implies. And that's the whole point of this, you're using modern versions of older hunting calibres and trying to leverage advantage out of that by being able to get better performance out of smaller guns.

Quote:
Shotguns are versatile, legal and powerful in the monster hunting role. If you only want one thing from your gun, however, it makes sense to go with a purpose-designed weapon.
True, (although it would seem apart from capacity it could do it as well if not better)

If you could rank your priorities in terms of stats for your gun what would it be? Are you wanting FA or SA. Personally I'd say FA at high Rcl is a bit redundant, and your capacity is not going to match your RoF anyway. But if you going to rely on edge stuff like 4 round bursts than Ok, but you'll still run dry pretty quick with these larger rounds I think.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-12-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote