View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Nymdok

Default Re: Z tactics against Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
The flipside to that argument ....

Secondly under that scenario the Zekes are still working against several major military powers before hitting the U.S. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Roarke's Drift was 4000 to 100 or so, and Zulus with captured guns are much more effective than Zombies. The underdog came out on top there.
<SNIP>
In most zombie movies, the zombies are a threat because they have the advantage of concentrated numbers against poorly equipped civilians. But a horde of zombies is just a target to flight of B-52s dropping cluster bombs, and a small stream of zombies can be handled by an alert base security. The zombies might get lucky and overrun 1-2 bases while the military is unaware or overconfident, but there's too many military bases across the US for the zombies to get lucky every time.
Again, it was just a quick mental exercise to try to set up a scenario where the zombies would have the maximum possible advantage.that they could have.

I didnt mean to imply that they would call up 25% of the civiallians, just trying to get a rough max force count, and 100 million seems like as good a number as any. I also didnt mean to imply that all other defense forces would be completely impotent, I simply took that as a given, again, to give the zekes the largest attack force possible. I also didnt go through the trouble of mentioning that walking across the ocean floor would probably put them through enough pressure to implode zombie skulls at a certain depth.

When discussing Z tactics versus military, specifically the US military, I was just trying to see what the man on Zeke troop counts were like.

Again, putting this in scope, we have 2 1 mile lines. Assuming that each Zeke or soldier takes up one hex, we have 2 sides, roughly 1800 hexes long.

On one side, we have the humans, and thier line is 3 men deep. (6k troops to a mile, 1800 yds to a mile, lines up rougyl 3 times. Zeke goes 200 lines deep. Again, thats packign them as densly as possible, which Im assuming would make it a bit toughter on infantry but would maximize the effects of larger ordinance.

Can the defending forces crank out enough ordinance, in enough time, to mop that clean?

Something Else I turned up was that the U.S. has 9k+ M1A2 abrahms tanks. Thats about 2/3's of one per linear mile. A nice bonus, but, is it enough to keep zeke from making it past them? We still gotta get 360000 zombies.

Once the Zs get past the troops (IF they do) then its the (relatively) squish underbelly of the civillians. 250 million potential enemies.

Roarkes drift was 40 to 1. This is half again worse at 60 to 1, and they just had to repel the Zulus, not exterminate them.

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 10-16-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote