View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Armed Parries against unarmed attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
I figured that was in line with the current rules enough, ditched a die roll (not always a concern for forumites, but a big deal for me), and gave about the same results. Not exactly what you're proposing here, but it's another option to look at.
It still has the problem that a mace parry leaves the weapon ready, but still does damage. What does this look like exactly?

With the rifle parries I've studied, even with a mounted bayonet, the body of the weapon (not the blade was used to parry). This similar to the polearm work I've done too. I can't imagine that a blade-edge parry in either case would be as effective. It's really weird that in GURPS if I parry with a polaxe or something that I'm doing even half the cutting damage of a full-bodied swing, even if I'm more likely take the strike against a langeted haft.

Similarly with swords, every style I've seriously trained parries with the flat (yes, I do know that there are edge-parry styles), so my instinct as a fighter would be to parry a punch or bite with the flat. Flat parries generally use minimal force (and thus preserve economy-of-motion). It would take special effort for me at least to do a damaging parry with a blade. At any rate such an effort is probably best represented by a Wait (Stop-Hit) or a Riposte in the first place.

The only thing I've personally done with weapons that trained defensively to damage attacking limbs is with knives, in which case a defense against a punch isn't mechanically much difference from that against a knife and in both cases it should be doing damage against the limb.

Now I'm not really much of Martial Artist, at best I'm a poorly motivated dabbler, so I could be totally off base, but my personal experience with both training and contact sparring is that generically most weapon "parries" aren't going to do any significant damage to an unarmed attacker without a follow-up attack.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-17-2012 at 04:28 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote