View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Armed Parries against unarmed attacks.

From here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Hmm... I think the big problem with the damage-on-parry rules as they exist is not that the defender gets to roll full skill*, but that the attacker doesn't get any defense against the counter hit.
My problem is much of what GURPS calls a "parry" with most weapons isn't realistically going to result in any damage at all, much less full damage. Even if the attacking limb (or maw, or whatever) does end up making full force contact with the parrying surface of the weapon (which isn't even necessarily the case) most of the time it's not going to be significantly different then if they had just attacked any hard surface. Realistic armed parries (especially since GURPS includes non-contact defenses as "parries") aren't generally offensive, at least in any style that I've personally studied.

It also doesn't make any sense that "double-dagger" Min-ST weapons can do full damage on a parry and somehow remain ready. How is it that I can make a full force swing with my big-honking-mace and bring it to ready instantly on a parry but not on an attack. This doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think the rule should be something more like:
  • Hurting Yourself (B. 379) applies when an unarmed attack is successfully parried or blocked by any weapon or shield with DR+HP>3 (in other words basically anything); unless the parry was made by exactly one or zero (in which case it's a non-contact parry). EDIT: Actually, I'm not even sure this is right. Most unarmed strikes against a parrying surface aren't going to be full force anyway. Maybe Hurting Yourself should apply if you only made your attack by some margin, or if the parry critically succeeds or something.
  • The Agressive Parry technique (Martial Arts p. whatever) applies to armed parries just as it does to unarmed parries. If a weapon would normally become unready on either an attack or parry it does so in this case as well. You may do reduced damage (as per Defensive Attack (Martial Arts p. something-or-other)) to keep your weapon ready if it would have been unreadied as an attack.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote