View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default 43's Truck Stop: When Designs Go South...

In another thread, discussion turned to "how do I correct a design which is Illegal" -- that is: What is my policy when making corrections?

The short version: I try to stay as close to the original design as possible, both in actual parts used, and in "intent" of the design (as best I can figure).

Example: The infamous _Pop-Cart_ from the equally-infamous _Vehicle Guide 3_; not only is the design spectacularly overweight, it also violates 1/3-spaces (4-sp. BC on a 10-sp. Compact).

So, what are we looking at, in terms of design? "Division 15: Really big gun on a slow-moving hull." Let's run with that.

First: The BC gets removed. It's a 4d6 burst-effect weapon; what comes closest to 4d6 BE which will come in under 1/3 spaces? An ATG with HEAT ammo -- that +3 is about equal to a d6 average roll. So, we add it.

Design is still overweight, though -- even more so, as the ATG is 100 lbs. heavier than the BC. But, we've lopped nearly $3,000 off the cost; we can upgrade the chassis to XH from Heavy, and remain under Division limit, so delete Hv. chassis, and add XH chassis.

We're now "only" 5 lbs. over our XH-chassis weight cap. What can we do about that? Well, an easy way to deal with that is to downrate the gas tank to Racing from Duelling; that frees up a bit of weight, and with two spaces free, and some cost to work with, we can drop the Multi-Carb, give the driver 5 pts. Component Armor, add a SWC to bring the ATG's to-hit down to 7 (same as the BC), and add Sloping to the main-body armor. Cost comes in at $14,384; weight at 4,440 lbs.; accel., top speed, and handling all remain the same. Voila -- now it's legal, and it still fits its intended role.

"And there you have it."

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.

Last edited by 43Supporter; 05-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote