View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #19
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Alternatives to GURPS? Other tabletop RPGs to try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
My priorities are quite different from yours, which may influence how useful my advice is to you. On one hand, over the past quarter century, I've run one campaign and two sessions of another from a pre-written source; everything else has been stuff I made up. I hesitate to use published material because I like to tailor encounters to the characters and to specific actions of theirs in past sessions, and it's hard to do that with anything written by somebody else. On the other hand, I really like worldbuilding, to the point where one of my habitual jokes is that the best part of the campaign is over when the characters enter play . . .

Not to say that you have to approach things that way! But bear in mind that my recommendations are for games that suit my style and may or may not suit yours. FUDGE is a wonderful system, but you actually start out by designing the game mechanics to fit your campaign plans . . .
I appreciate the meta-advice! Usually, I too love worldbuilding (and especially coming up with new characters!). It just takes a lot out of me—especially in time. But none of us wanted a break in play, so it has been easier for me to rest on another's setting and story. I've been having fun creating the whipped cream and cherry on top of Deadlands adventures as well as putting my own touch on things. That's also why I love good adventure hooks so much—they leave a lot of space for me to play around (and "It's a Quest!" from Pyramid #3/104: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game is pretty good... for dungeon fantasy, of course).

I hope to get over this slump and back into worldbuilding, but it's definitely been nice to have a 3rd party do the work.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote