View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
Anthony

Default Re: Detailed athletics rules, and male vs female muscle, basic speed, performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The muscle cells themselves aren't male/female.
It is worth noting that this goes both ways. The limb thickness required for a given strength does not vary with gender. Since our standards of 'feminine' appearance include thinner arms than our standards of 'masculine' appearance, a character who looks feminine is simply going to have limits to how strong she (or he, for bishonen/etc) can be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
I would say not to adjust the base levels partly because my personal experience is that women tend to be a bit faster on their feet at the low-end.
This has to do with differences between basic speed and basic move, and is another reason the proposed rules are flawed. Someone who is small will typically be quicker to perform actions, but will have a lower max speed. A 6' stride that takes 0.25s is 16.4 mph. A 5' stride that takes 0.22s is 15.5 mph. However, a 0.22s stride is still quicker than a 0.25s stride. This is part of why track and field athletes are tall, while gymnasts are short.