View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Magesmiley

Default Re: Character Development Time Frame

As I noted on another thread the first problem with the skill system is that 30 points could buy 3 skills at level 0, one at level 1 and a second at level 0, or one at level 2. You couldn't get very many skills at all to start with, and it often was a better investment to just be good at 1 or 2 things.

At the other end of the spectrum is the effects of higher skill bonuses.
The effects of higher level skill bonuses were most noticable in the gunner (and handgunner) skills, due to the bell curve nature of the attack rolls. Shifting the odds 2 points could grossly improve your chances of hitting. And, having played with a character that got his gunner skill up to +5 (we were playing weekly with corporate), I can tell you that it was absolutely brutal to the other players.

I think that I'd prefer a system where progression is fairly quick at lower levels and gets steeper and steeper as you advance, essentially encouraging characters to become more diverse as they advance rather than sinking more points into a few skills.

Something like:
Level | Additional Points | Total Points
0 | 5 | 5
1 | 10 | 15
2 | 20 | 35
3 | 30 | 65
4 | 40 | 105

I think that with a progression like the above, we'd see more well-rounded characters being used rather than everyone sinking all of their points into Driver and Gunner. Yes this would mean that level 2 is out of reach of starting characters. I personally don't see an issue with that.

Last edited by Magesmiley; 06-27-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Trying to fix the mangled formatting
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote