View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #42
larsdangly

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

I like that spell casting and physical fatigue and damage are linked concepts, as it makes the magic system have consequences beyond expending your 'spell slots'. But it is definitely true that you are forced to figure out for yourself how the magical fatigue economy works, with your decisions having potentially significant game-changing effects.

This discussion is so long and complex that it might be useful to boil down the major decision points where you need a table ruling:

- Is Aid limited to +5 ST at any one time, or is it unlimited? I don't accept the logic that it has to be unlimited to enable casting some spells, as a caster can readily pay for all the standard spells using a staff and/or power stones. But I also think it would be a perfectly valid table ruling to say Aid increases in ST are an exception to the stat-boost rule of 5.

- When a wizard casts the Death Spell, do they match their current available physical ST or the mana points expended vs. the ST of the target? If the latter, can the target expend Mana instead of physical ST to resist the spell? If the caster wins, is their cost paid in Mana or physical ST?

- If you take physical damage while benefiting from an external source of fatigue-based ST increased (Aid or Drain ST), what happens to you when that increase expires?

Can you think of any others that aren't corollaries of these?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote