View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #16
phiwum

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your comments thus far.

There is a faction, perhaps a majority, who hold that ST boosted by aid allows one to cast spells with the Aided ST first, such that someone using only that ST will have their full natural ST left upon the expiration of Aid. But, they contend that it does not work like this for wounds; one with Aid-buffed ST could sustain more damage than they normally would be able to so long as the spell lasts, but those wounds would kill them upon Aid's expiration.

What about fatigue? Let's say that someone whose ST is Aided by 5 is berserk, and, while the spell is on, they come out of berserking and suffer the requisite 2 fatigue, bringing them down to 1 ST. Aid then expires. Do they die, or is the fatigue, like ST used for spell casting, forgiven?
Good question, prompting another.

Suppose a character has five points of Aid cast on him and he suffers four fatigue and three wounds and we use my suggestion that the Aid effectively cancels both wounds and fatigue. How many wounds and fatigue does he have in the end?

According to my suggestion, five points are wiped out. He could lose four fatigue and one wound, leaving two wound damage, or he could lose three wounds and two fatigue, leaving two fatigue damage (or something in-between).

I'd prefer the harsher outcome, so he still has two wounds, but this is just me being mean-spirited and not a principled choice. I guess the most reasonable answer is that first-come, first-cancelled, so he loses fatigue if he suffered that first and wounds if not. This is, however, a complicated solution but Aid doesn't really come up in my games and this would be a rare situation.

I will admit the answer for those who say wounds aren't wiped out at the end of an Aid spell have an easier time with this question.

As for your question, I'd say that the folks on the other side really should say the fatigue loss is wiped out when the spell ends, for consistency's sake, and I don't see any particular reason they wouldn't want to say that but I suppose I might be mistaken.

Given my suggestion above, since he suffered wounds before coming out of berserk, the wounds would get wiped out.

I totally get the desire to make Aid less useful than my suggestion does and I think that treating wounds and fatigue differently isn't outlandish. I just think treating them the same is simpler in concept. I'm not settled on the issue, however.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote