View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #15
phiwum

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'd say the Death Spell is useful, even powerful, but it's one of many TFT spells that sound useful at first, then seem like "how can THAT be used practically?", and then, if someone thinks enough about it, there are some actually quite useful applications of the spell, but only in certain conditions... and that's a GOOD thing, because the game would be extremely deadly if the Death Spell were easy to use and good for many situations.

The original context of the Death Spell was Wizard the microgame, which still applies to wizardly duels and some other fights. Wizard combat is about managing remaining ST, and often a close wizard duel will come down to two wizards with just a few points left. In that context, a capable wizard (with IQ 16 and DX at least 12...) who is sure they have more remaining ST than their opponent, may welcome a spell that will kill a foe outright. (If you know a foe has lost 3 DX due to wounds, the spell only costs 1-3 points to kill someone, and if you have ST 4+, you know you won't be the one dying.)

It'd also be good against a really tough enemy warrior who has armor but is heavily wounded. Your fighters might likely get slaughtered trying to finish him off, but you can kill him with one spell that can't be countered by anti-missile spells, nor by Stone/Iron/Diamond Flesh magic.

And in a campaign, the Death Spell can become rather more powerful with the use of Aid ST & DX, powerstones, and now in Legacy, staff mana, you can boost your ST & DX and/or recharge your fatigue before casting the spell, making the range and safety of the spell rather greater than it would be if you don't bring in those boosts.

Someone already mentioned the assassination use, as well.

Again, because the effect is outright death, it's good that it's a risky and not easy spell to make conveniently useful. It'd be pretty grim if it were as easy to use as Sleep, for example.
I agree that Death Spell can't be too easy.

The question is whether using Aid prior to Death Spell to kill a stronger opponent is too easy.

At least that's one question. The real question is whether wounds and fatigue are treated differently when an Aid ST spell wears off. I do think I've been focusing on the Death Spell use too much, since this is a minor side effect of this more fundamental question.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote