View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #87
Phantasm

Default Re: Approaching TL9?

If I was re-evaluating TLs for a hypothetical 5e, I'd split the difference between 3e and 4e and put the dividing line around 1990, about the time when the Digital Age was truly taking off.

Actually, the key year would be 1992: That year the Internet was released from DARPA control and handed to the private sector, increasing the number of MacOS and Windows - rather than Unix - computers connected to it. That was also when the WWW itself came into being, and the browser wars between Netscape (forerunner of Firefox) and Microsoft Internet Explorer started. Prior to this BBSes and services such as AOL and Compuserve ruled the corporate sector, but after '92 many ISPs, generally in combination with local phone and cable companies, started offering Internet connectivity directly.

(I remember where I lived, the phone company, cable company, ISP, and local newspaper were all owned by the same parent company.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote