View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #81
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Approaching TL9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post

I'll note again - the G11 and its ammo had passed acceptance trials. It was considered ready for introduction to service. I'll also point out that the US had no problems with H&K's entry to their ACR trials when it come to reliability and safety, the issues were the same as with all the entrants - they couldn't meet the (probably intentionally) unrealistic hit chance requirements.
As a side note I would just add that after a couple od decades of intense small unit combat since the ACR trials the G-11 might not pass now for reloading ergonomics.

The reloading gate or whatever you want to call it is on the front of the gun. Unless you are a literal gorilla you almost certainly can not insert the new rounds without taking the gun off your shoulder.

Pretty much every other modern combat rifle/carbine can be reloaded with the gun still in firing position and even with the user advancing at a moderate walk.

The 2 Ready actions added to the drill would be where the reload time of (5) comes from in HT. For the fellow with the empty gun that's probably at least 2 seocnds too long.

Even the mags being 45 instead of 30 rounds doesn't help that much. Even with the 2 mags stored next to the one in use on the gun still leaves with fewer ready rounds than the 7 mags listed in Tactical Shooting for the modern US Army Ranger (with the note that more are sometimes carried).