View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: What level Physician skill should an MD have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraydak View Post

A) The above analysis is completely inconsistent with a flat Professional=12. Good.
Well, who knows? I would assert that the average person going into any field is IQ 10 . . . I don't really accept the "the brightest and the best" theory that university candidates would have higher IQ in GURPS terms. It may sound cynical, but I'd go with IQ 10 and Professional Skill (Exam Writing)-12 in most cases. That would make the above numbers 10 vs. 12, so 12 is pretty consistent. If you want to say that IQ 11+ is the norm, then by all means do so.

Quote:

B) Med school intensity is far, far beyond undergraduate education.
We'll just have to disagree on this. The culture is one that promotes this view for sure, but I've seen no evidence that the pedagogy is up to higher standards. In fact, that matter has been called into question in Canada more than a few times.

Quote:

C) Society definitely seems to be seeing a return well above 2 cp/year of undergraduate education. Which is good, because university is expensive (even outside the US, where other people foot the bill).
Even 2 points/year is impressive. This means 8 points for the typical newbie undergrad and 12-14 points for professional degrees. Getting even IQ+2 in an Average field is a huge return! The average person has an IQ-5 default and some people actually work from this. The crutches that give those people +7 or more and let them function mean that a truly skilled person with a 12 is functioning at 19.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the GURPS skill system is incredibly skewed toward stupidly dangerous tasks. The game outright assumes that nobody at a normal job is rolling at less than +4, if not that +7 I just suggested.

And I should add that I have no disrespect for or dislike of physicians. I am friends with several, and respect their work immensely. I just don't see any proof that they're better at being physicians than most mechanics are at being mechanics or most nannies are at being nannies, or that they're smarter and more talented than the next person. They seem like pretty ordinary people with pretty ordinary degrees of success and failure . . . it's just that 95%+ of their failures allow a do-over, just like other failures. The idea that every failure kills someone or makes someone worse is fiction; most conditions are slow enough to allow retry after retry. Even my cholecystitis took 20 years and dozens of tries to diagnose!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote