View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #45
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Archery in this game kind of sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
More clarification for those that care:

Players are 160 point characters including 25 point regeneration. So I don't have a lot to work with so far.

My group was attacking a post. We started with two archers shooting before the melee charged in, I was one of the archers. When I attacked, the GM stated 30 yards away. My arrow bounced off the enemy's armor. The next round, my companions were attacking in melee range while I was stuck readying for another shot.

It's a low tech level, almost primitive with stone arrows and weapons. It's a regular bow I have as my village doesn't know jack about weaponry. So no steel arrows, no armor piercing. This is the first we have even seen armor. I have ST 13 with strongbow, but nobody in the village is stronger than a 14 for bow use, so that's the best I could get at the time. Regular bow, TH+1.

It just hasn't been fun having to attack every two rounds (skill 18, no weapon master or heroic archer yet, so I can't quick shoot effectively), and when I actually hit something that doesn't dodge, 50% of the time I don't deal any damage and the rest of the time I don't do enough damage to really matter. Our GM doesn't like changing things. He also doesn't like to allow much more beyond the basic book rules, so I'm stuck with what it is.
Neolithic vs. mail armor? That honestly seems like an occasion that should have been one for archery to shine: stand back and poke at the guards to try to make them chase you into more favorable ground. Don't know who decided against holding back and shooting more, whether it was PCs or something the GM pushed...

(It's not a great setup for archery, since whacking mail with maces is probably one of your best options at that tech face-off, but you did nearly get the guy in the face on your first shot.)