View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
Sunspark

Default Learning defaults

I did search for this, but either my search-fu is weak, or it hasn't been asked.

Assuming that you drop a character in a completely unfamiliar place, how long does it take for him to start getting defaults for things like Area Knowledge and skills that only exist in the new place.

I.E. a Banestorm scoops up Joe Average and drops him off in Yrth. How long until he picks up enough background knowledge that he can start making default rolls for Area Knowledge and basic magical lore that's common knowledge, assuming he doesn't actively go out of his way to study the topics. (Or even it he does, how long would it take before he gains even a default roll?)

One thought that strikes me is that such a character could be created (or acquire) a variant of the Incompetent quirk for the various skills that he's lacking, and time spent in the new world could count towards points to buy off the quirks at the same rate as on the job learning (I.E. 800 hours of time spent out in the world is enough to remove the quirks.) Actively studying to remedy his deficiencies would count as self study, and if he has someone helping him, it would count as time being taught, with the associated reduced times.

Not sure if that would be excessive or not, though.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote