View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #36
Hide

Default Re: [DF] A Portal Fantasy within a Dungeon Fantasy: Where's Alice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
I've been trying my best to convey the concepts of "slow time" and "fast time" (...)
My comments are regardless of that. The NPC's former opportunity area was that the number of lucky breaks were not clear and also were heavily based on GM discretion and GM time-control support; but you worked it and that has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Basically, n uses per hour abilities should be ~6n uses per game session (...)
Indeed, that is in the spirit of adding clarity to luck as it was originally described.

If Tymathee's sessions will last 8 real time hours, then 48 lucky breaks make sense with ridiculous luck. But taking my gaming experience and looking at examples such as critical role or NADDPod, typical gaming sessions last about 4 hours and sometimes include breaks (which reduces (in-game time) ridiculous luck's lucky breaks to something from 12-24).

Under this scope, 48 lucky breaks are still out of proportion. It still gives a vibe of "She is superior and you can't beat her", remember that your players chances of having such an ability is very low or taxing under their starting conditions.

For example, the Vorpal Sword could be very powerful, but the players might be able to snatch it or to acquire something similar. With luck, it is another story, you have to buy it from the start.

Also, it is great that Alice will get a Vorpal Sword at some point in the game, but that does not mean she was prepared to wield it. Giving her the shortsword skill before she gets the sword evokes meta-gaming. Just to give you an extreme example of it: It’s like building a peasant character that lived in a barn without cars, but you know he will get the Knight Rider’s car in the future… so you decided to give him driving (car) beforehand.

Last edited by Hide; 06-01-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote