View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: GURPS: Ecosystems and Evolution

This would make an awesome Pyramid article or supplement and you should definitely submit it once it's finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMaster View Post
Kleiber's law says that an animal's metabolic rate is proportional to the 3/4 power of its mass, meaning what the eat realted to their mass is proportional to the -1/4 power of body mass. Using this to correct for size, the flying, warm-blooded, gathering herbivore has a metabolism of about 1.25 while the slithering, cold-blooded, pouncing carnivore has a metabolism of about 0.0125. This suggests that the general formula would be 1.25 times (weight to the -1/4 power) times some correction between 1 for the most active animals and 0.01 for the least. The table below gives some guesses for this correction factor based on the alien creation categories from Space. Multiply the numbers from each subtable.
I'm finding this paragraph difficult to understand and interpret. It would help if you could clarify how to calculate things. For example, is "3/4 power of its mass" = mass^(3/4)? And what are the proportions based on? For one thing, "cold-blooded" and "warm-blooded" are actually short-hand for a number of different metabolic traits that can each have a variety of values. Even the GURPS advantages and disadvantages related to them should really be divided up.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote