View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #62
Varyon

Default Re: Meteoric iron immunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
But a person, mechanism, or thing that does not rely on magic, could reach through the gate, collect a sample, and move it back through the gate.

In DF terms you'd probably not want to do this with a living hand or appendage. Perhaps some extremely-heat-resistant orichalcum or similar mechanical servitor could do this.
It would be the GM's call, but I'm not certain magical protection wouldn't help. Certainly, you can't "grab" the metal with magic directly, but using magic to make something heat-proof might allow it to grab the metal without issue.

If you heat a meteoric iron brand, then apply it to the flesh of someone under the effects of Resist Fire, does it burn them? The spell isn't interacting with the meteoric iron in any way, it's just making it so the character doesn't get burned. On the other hand, Resist Fire is meant to stop damage from objects that are hot, so an argument could be made that Kromm's second criterion is in effect and the meteoric iron would bypass the protection. So, as I said, it would be the GM's call (personally, I'd be fine with Resist Fire preventing burns from hot meteoric iron).

Of course, if indeed the star has cooled down (perhaps the universe you are connecting to has experienced heat death?), that may be a moot point... or you may need protection from extreme cold!