View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #49
Tomsdad

Default Re: Can you Parry a Bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
FWIW, weapons (even well made ones) can and do break when parrying (even in sparring and stage combat). I have personally seen it happen three times. This "your grip is the weak part of the system and will always break first" idea doesn't really match reality, presumably because the forces involved aren't all equivalent.
I've seen weapons break (I have souvenirs of it in fact) but IME having your weapon taken out of your grip happens far more than having it broken.

In fact most weapon breaks I've seen has actually been slim thrusting blades bent back beyond their material tolerance for force applied in that direction*, and not when being hit by other weapons. As I said a specific combination of forces and direction make it more likely to happen, and as you say not always that equivalent to the ones that risk grips

So you've seen it happen three time, but how many times have you seen someone lose their grip on their weapon after it being in contact with someone else's?

The point being that under the current rules you don't risk losing your grip unless it's a specifically disarm / knock away attempt or you parry something your BL or greater in weight, but you risk your weapon breaking in a wider range of situations including those with lighter weapons and attacks.

So I'm not saying no weapon ever got broken in combat, I'm saying it's not more likely than having them knocked out you hand.

That said "the Broken blade" adjust the chance of breakage, and "KYoS" adjusts how heavy some attacks are.

*similarly spears, lances and pole arms getting bent back when a lot of force is applied to the tips, when being set to received charges or when charging.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-03-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote