View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #26
Skarg

Default Re: XP for Unbalanced Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
It might even be a simple lookup table based on rise over base stat (including character bonus) plus the PCs total added points so far. Though I need to think about the balance to ensure 'maxing' out at 2x base roughly. Not sure a halfling and a lizard man will be able to use the same table...

For Giants/Dragons/Gargoyles, a multiplier on ST might be a simple enough solution. If it was x2 for a Giant then they might get 2 ST points for the same xp cost as a human would, but then the advantage of going from 28 to 29 points is no where near as impactful as going from ST 11 to 12, so sure they get lots of strength, but then they're huge, so what would you expect? Personally in any campaign I run, the downsides of being a Gargoyle or a Giant will become very evident very quickly! ;)
I think halflings probably should have a max ST.

Giants do bring up a number of issues. In my play experience, they always tended to die pretty quickly, except in the settings where there were many of them and they had weapons and armor and weren't paticularly slow or clumsy or dull-witted.

I like to think about what I want the races to be like in the world population (lifespan and attribute level distribution) and then try to model that, rather than trying to link it to 32-point human PCs. So the XP costs I look at are based on how long a giant or dragon or whatever lives and what attributes their population tends to have, and their best individuals, then divide by the time involved to figure out how quickly they should advance in stats.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote