View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #25
MikMod

Default Re: XP for Unbalanced Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I've been fiddling with developing something very similar to this description. Currently I have characters get a few of their extra starting points as "core" points, which add to their racial minimums to get their base for each attribute. The cost to raise each attribute is then based on how far away they are from their personal base (and their race, especially for races with maximum attribute values).
Yep, that sounds good.

It might even be a simple lookup table based on rise over base stat (including character bonus) plus the PCs total added points so far. Though I need to think about the balance to ensure 'maxing' out at 2x base roughly. Not sure a halfling and a lizard man will be able to use the same table...

For Giants/Dragons/Gargoyles, a multiplier on ST might be a simple enough solution. If it was x2 for a Giant then they might get 2 ST points for the same xp cost as a human would, but then the advantage of going from 28 to 29 points is no where near as impactful as going from ST 11 to 12, so sure they get lots of strength, but then they're huge, so what would you expect? Personally in any campaign I run, the downsides of being a Gargoyle or a Giant will become very evident very quickly! ;)

Last edited by MikMod; 06-10-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote