View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #25
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Magic System Question II

Does this setting use mana levels, or some variant thereof, or none at all? If they exist and vary over time (which would be another question to vote on), that may be why the Stargate becomes active again. A tie or near-tie will usually mean that multiple options are true, just not all in the same places - and we'll probably need another vote on if and how they interact. There is a related question below, but in a 'yes or no' format.

1. Mana (Some areas are Aspected, others, perhaps most, are not. Does not require the Ascended-expies to be active on the mortal plane. I slightly prefer this option.)

2. Mana, but without any use of Aspects (Does not require the Ascended-expies to be active.)

3. Mana, but heavily Aspected (Most places with greater than No Mana have some sort of Aspect, and knowing what it is can be important in-game. Does not require the Ascended-expies to be active.)

4. Sanctity (Requires the Ascended-expies to be quite active. Aspects depend on which gods are particularly interested in your location, level depends on how much attention they're paying.)

5. Spiritual Resonance (Not psionic in this setting. Similar to Sanctity, but only requires lots of active spirits that help or make magic happen (e.g. the mana in Roma Arcana), and puts more emphasis on the fact that specific places and times can be various levels of good for multiple Aspects of magic, and various levels of bad for others.)

6. No equivalent (Magic works to pretty much the same degree all over. If interacting with the Infinite Worlds oversetting, this means it also works in places where it would not be expected to, like Homeline.)

7. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

EDIT on 8/29, about 8 am where I live: I noticed that there were two options numbered '2.' I've corrected that, but it means that if you already voted before this edit, you may need to edit your vote.

Do ley lines or some equivalent exist in this setting? Please reply with YES in all caps or NO in all caps, so I can be sure of your answer. If YES wins, that may effect where Stargates need to be in order to work, or the Stargates might alter the ley lines, instead - or they might not have much direct interaction.

Answer: Three votes for option 6, which wins, two votes for 5 (this may be important later due to the ley lines vote), and one vote each for 1 and 3. Six YES votes for ley lines existing, which is going to spawn a new question.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 09-06-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote