View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #1033
Mack_JB

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

As an outsider to almost everything SJG makes or sells (I pretty much only follow their Ogre related stuff here), I still read the Illuminator daily, it doesn't take that long, it's fun, and so I know what's available, even if it doesn't directly appeal to me.

Going way out on a limb here: Having read these "Stakeholder" threads for several years now, I see a very vocal minority nearly always saying "we want GURPS and only GURPS" -- then when it is made, they whinge about the cost and say "nope, didn't order it, too expensive". I know SJ is personally quite proud of his creations, and really, it would appear that 'fatherly love' is only what keeps GURPS on the market at all. If it were my product line, I would have ditched it as a losing proposition ages ago.

As to the cost of the books, hey, books are expensive now, and only getting worse. I'm in the habit of spending $55 to $60 now for my specialty softcover railroad history books, and upwards of $80 for hardcovers -- and that's from U.S. publishers. A U.K. based publisher makes a book I want, and I know I'll have to fork out even more.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote