View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
hal

Default Re: Independent Income at later TL stages

Perhaps I should have put it this way then...

If you have assets worth MORE than 300,000,000 at the start of your character creation - then as a character, you need to pay more points for what your assets are really worth no?

If Independent Income offers you cash from assets you can't or won't touch, or you lose the actual income, what you're really saying is that the value of such an "asset" that generates 72 million dollars a year, is considerably more than the initial 300 that the player paid for with the advantage Multi-millionaire.

Social Security income being defined in terms of starting wealth on a monthly basis, has no real mathematical relationship with real life to put it mildly.

Anyone care to try and figure out what the "inviolate" assets are worth in order to generate 72 million a year in income revenue without touching the principle? A return on investment of 20% is largely (I suspect) unlikely and is likely more closer to maybe 5 to 11% or so in that range, and such a return likely has times when the risks catch up to the person and he loses money. Independent income doesn't seem to work that way.

So - my point for brining this up, is that Independent Income was written, gives some wildly inaccurate results when the player is permitted to use up to 20% values as adjusted for wealth level. GURPS also doesn't seem to have any real guidelines for trying to emulate or simulate real life when it comes to someone living off the returns on their investments only. And, in real life, turning an asset into cash is always a possibility unless it is legally tied up in a trust or in terms of that kind of thing. Point is, turning such a performing asset into cash means that it is an asset that should have been covered under the original rules of 80% starting wealth is non-adventuring assets. Am I making sense here?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote