View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Apollonian

Default Re: Independent Income at later TL stages

I'm going to assume your actual question is "What is Independent Income?" and you're not just ranting about the Wealth rules again. If it's the latter, well, you do you.

Independent Income is going to be a lot more than just stock dividends. Your character probably has a more diversified portfolio. Some of that II is going to come from rolling bond payments; some of it is real estate income, i.e., rents and leases; some if it, as mentioned, will be the licensing fees for that CPU architecture; and if we're going to be a bit more outre, some of it might be regular gifts, bribes, and courtesies that he gets as part of his social status (and that he reciprocates to curry favor, buy off inconvenient regulations, and live the high life). So that adds up to $6m pretty quick, I think.

Consider also that at higher TLs the extra cash doesn't just mean more money; it means that a higher TL society produces more stuff and higher quality stuff. This TL9 guy's going to be spending that $6m on more and fancier stuff than his TL7 equivalent - custom cars and yachts, sure, but also extraordinary security systems, luxurious VR experiences, sub-orbital tours, custom android servants... That money he's spending doesn't disappear; it goes into someone else's pocket to support their $6m/month Independent Income or whatever.

I don't think Independent Income adds to a character's base assets. If he's using return on investment as a rationale for his Independent Income, then that's tied into whatever Wealth got him. OTOH, if he inherited some assets he can't liquidate - like the right to extract license fees for CPU architecture, for whatever arcane legal reason - then that doesn't count as an asset except in the context of rationalizing his Independent Income.

As for your last question, if we assume a 20% tax rate, that person makes $4,500 a month; assuming 160 hours a week, that's a mere $28.125 an hour. (Note that's in GURPS $, not 2080 US$)
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote