View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 11:07 PM   #37
Eric Funk

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Strategy and Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I've often given supernatural predators an effective Tactics equal to their IQ or Per (depending on how animalistic they are), specifically for personal combat where they have to make Quick Contests against someone using Tactics.

In point cost terms, it's One Task Wonder and it means they can't lead a military unit or come up with a tactical plan that gives them re-rolls, but they aren't completely hosed when facing anyone with even a modicum of professional training.
I am facing this dilemma with my party as well. In the typical Dungeon* crawl, only the PCs will have Tactics. In this case it is the wizard with high IQ and the Born War Leader Talent.

I'm reading Tactics for this 6-10 member group will mean they are fighting as a unit rather than a bunch of "murder hoboes" (as one player puts it) who kill all monsters they see as fast as they can and then loot whatever is shiny or magical.

Example Case:
Wild Boars: IQ 5, Tactics Default: roll vs IQ -1 ! . Typical roll of 10 means fail by 11 !
Wizard: Tactics 14, average roll of 10*** means pass by 4, so margin of success: 15

So i'm going to try it just a basic roll against wild creatures (the barrier of "Animal" vs "Mind" spells M29).

* Here GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.
** With allies, familiars, mounts, hirelings, etc.
*** (And that's not taking into consideration using Luck to reroll...