View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 12:04 AM   #25
cosmicfish

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
What I do is to disregard GURPS' definition of the Engineering skills and to define them to be what (IMO) engineers actually do, which is to design and manage technical processes and products. But now they tell me that GURPS is not a reality simulator.
GURPS is NOT a reality simulator, and I would disagree with your description as being typical for engineers. There are many type of engineers (focusing on those with jobs generally requiring academic degrees in engineering), and "design" and "manage technical processes" are typically different jobs with different people. Design engineers often have only a limited knowledge of the processes used to produce their designs, generally just that amount that needs to be accounted for in the design process. And the ones who manage those processes, usually with titles like "production engineer" or "industrial engineer" neither need nor generally have the knowledge to design the things they are building.

The Engineering skill focuses on design, and the other aspects of the engineering profession are best depicted using other skills. This is not unique, this is how GURPS handles most professions, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
What GURPS skills ought to be used to manage a highway construction project, an electrical power station or distribution grid, a marine engine and drivetrain, an oil refinery, or a smallarms factory? Administration?
A combination of Administration and Leadership, generally. Leadership for the people you work with directly, Administration for those whom you do not.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote